Palazzo della Ragione
Cappella dei Notai
Where we are
The majestic building of the ancient Palace of the Municipality of Verona, also called The Palazzo della Ragione, is located on the southeast corner of the ancient Roman Forum, between Piazza delle Erbe (The Market Place) and Piazza dei Signori (Square of the Signori). It was built during the last years of the 12th century to accommodate the new judiciaries of the Municipality. Over the centuries, the Palazzo della Ragione was the heart of the town’s political power, accommodating in its large rooms the College of Notaries, the silk customs offices, the Fiscal Chamber, the Savings bank, the magistrates’ court and the Court of Assizes.
The Notaries’ Chapel, the most prestigious room in the Palazzo della Ragione, is situated on the first floor of what was then the tower of the Masseria. It was built between 1408 and 1419 commissioned by the Venerable College of Notaries, that dedicated it to the Saints Zeno and Daniel. It houses in its interior one of the most important decorative complexes commissioned by a public office in the history of the town.
It consists of four communicating rooms covered by cap vaults built on gothic arch, decorated with large bezel shaped paintings on canvas and oval paintings fixed to the vaults, made by the Veronese painters Alessandro Marchesini, Giambattista Bellotti, Santo Prunati and by the French painter Louis Dorighy around mid 18th century. Also remarkable is the paneling of 19th century workmanship that covers the walls.
For the wedding ceremony in the Notaries’ Chapel, access is allowed for no more than 40 people.